Wednesday 29 April 2015

Mindful birthing

Having had such a traumatic experience of labour and being a new mum last time I wanted to find an alternative way to cope this time.  I have been interested in mindfulness and its health benefits for a while now and dabbled a bit in it but never seriously looked into it.  Then last week I was lying in bed worrying about what was going to happen in labour this time when suddenly I realised – perhaps now was the time to take a serious look at mindfulness and I am so glad I did.

I am only on the sixth chapter but already I can relate so much to it.  The idea of going into every situation with a “beginners mind” is particularly helpful, the idea that just because it happened a certain way last time doesn't mean it will happen that way again so concentrate on what is happening right now, experience each moment as it happens, without judgement. 

It may sound a bit silly but because I had to have a really heavy epidural for them to do a forceps delivery last time; it meant I didn't actually feel giving birth and that is just one thing I really feel I missed.  I felt so disconnected from the whole experience that I just didn't really experience any of my labour.  I want that to be different this time.  It may not go to plan but I want to be present in the moment this time round, I think this quote sums it up best:

“Mindfulness doesn't give you the birth experience you want, but it gives you a way to fall in love with the birth experience you get.”

So even though I may have to have an epidural or an IV I want to be more present in the moment and more aware of what is going on in each moment so that I feel in control.

I would definitely recommend Mindful Birthing to any expectant mum and I will keep you updated on how I use it throughout my pregnancy, labour and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment