Saturday 22 August 2015

34 weeks ~ birth plan's in place

I cannot thank Kim the epilepsy midwife enough for all she has done to get us to this point.  It has been her support which has given us the confidence to stand our ground and push for what we want.  We are now finally at a point where we have a clear plan which is agreed by both the consultant midwife and obstetric consultant at the hospital.

Location

We wanted to be in the birthing unit by due to the size of the rooms we have agreed it would probably be better to be up on the ward but they are going to move the bed and medical equipment to the side of the room and put mats and a birth ball out.  My labour will be managed by the midwife unless anything goes wrong.  I am going to have intermittent monitoring of the baby so I don't have to be strapped to equipment.  No IV - something we have thought long and hard about but due to me never having been in status it seems like an unnecessary intervention.

Pain relief

Mindfulness and moving around using different positions as well as a TENS machine which I found fantastic last time.  Then gas and air as needed. If I need any intervention such as forceps or a c section I will have a spinal instead.

Discharge

We're planning to be discharged reasonably quickly and they have said we can have a private room so that Rich can stay with me, so it's not the end of the world if I have to be in for one night.

It's just been nice to have it acknowledged by both the consultant midwife and the consultant that what happened last time was pretty traumatic for both Rich and me.  The fact they understand that I know my condition the best and are listening to what I want is refreshing and helping me feel more confident and less frightened about this labour.

As far as I am concerned, I am still seizure free and well.  There are no concerns at the moment with more or baby and baby has their head down and seems to be getting into the right position.  So all is looking positive.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot can change in the next 6 weeks, but all we can do is prepare as best we can and go with things as they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment