Thursday 21 November 2013

Rugby! reminds me of my Grandad :)

This hasn’t got a lot to do with being a Mum but I heard this on the radio and it brought back mixed emotions… it has been 10 years since England beat Australia to win the rugby world cup.  In case you didn’t see it, with 26 seconds on the clock and the score 17-17 Johny Wilkinson kicked a drop goal taking England to a 20-17 win.
So why does it mean anything… firstly it makes me feel very old, can’t believe it was 10 years ago.  I’m not a super sports fan but that year I worked in a prep school as a gap year, basically supporting the teachers and mainly in the PE department.  They were really big on sport and I really got into rugby. That year was a turning point in my life.  At school I had been bullied, I’d been really unhappy and so shy.  That year I felt part of something; I was given real responsibility and just fitted in.  It built my self confidence and made me believe in myself.
England winning the world cup sort of framed the year and possibly more importantly brings back a lovely memory of my Grandad.  I watched the first half of the match at the school I worked at and then rushed back to my Grandad’s to watch the second half and was with him when they won.  That year I grew very close to my Grandad, I used to go up to ride my horse at a ridiculous hour in the morning and then have breakfast with him and spent a lot of time with him.  He also found the advert for the job in the first place.
So I guess the reason I mention it is that to me it was more than just a fantastic sporting achievement for this country but also reminds me of a turning point in my life, the point at which I started to believe in myself and on top of that reminds me of my grandad J

No comments:

Post a Comment